“But I knew him.”

Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and battles a new threat from old history: the Soviet agent known as the Winter Soldier. (blurb from IMDb)


Before I dive into the review, I've tried to keep it fairly contained (I'm still recovering from this movie, to be honest.) Hopefully, I've kept the fangirlish rambling to a minimum. :)




** SPOILERS AHEAD **




To start, I’m currently trying to determine if The Winter Soldier is, in fact, my favorite movie so far from Phase Two (I loved Thor: The Dark World, but I'm torn between The Winter Soldier and Iron Man 3, I think). The story was unexpected and carried out well, and I enjoyed getting to see another aspect of how the events of The Avengers are influencing each character, as well as the story arc within the MCU.  

First up: I loved how they have allowed Steve’s character to grow. Even though he’s confused about things, he’s also building connections and environment in which he can fit (for a little while, anyway). As always, I enjoyed his character—how he stays true to himself, how generally considerate he can be. There’s definitely trueness to the character that has already been developed in the films, but I also like the subtle growth that’s underneath it all. He and Natasha have an interesting friendship; I enjoyed the continuation of trust-building and joking that carries over from The Avengers. Sam Wilson/Falcon was a ton of fun to get to know.

As for the Winter Soldier himself… I love the edge of vulnerability he has after the first confrontation with Steve. His appearances in the film are few and brief, but they are really good and offer some of the most emotionally intense parts of the story. I wish there’d been more of him in the film, to be honest.

 Another thing I enjoyed about The Winter Soldier was the choreography. I don’t usually have a lot to say in general about this sort of thing, but it really stood out to me here. Each character’s fighting style reflects them in a great way. I think my favorites though are Steve and Bucky: they’re both tough to beat in a fight, with similar strengths, which added to the emotional depth of the film. It also added another layer to the inner struggles of Bucky's character and Steve's.

The Winter Soldier is definitely more of a political thriller/action movie than the others in the MCU, but the story was intriguing and kept me in suspense. While there were a few things I wasn’t overly surprised by in terms of plot twists, most of the movie kept me in a mood of guessing and disbelief.

Overall I’d definitely recommend this one. Don’t forget to watch the credits! There’s a mid-credits scene and an end-credits scene. Definitely don’t want to miss them. :)

** Captain America: The Winter Soldier is rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence, gunplay and action throughout. There’s also some mild, infrequent language. **


Comments

Post a Comment

Hi, and welcome to Lovely Whatsoevers!

Feel free to comment—I love hearing from you!

(If this is your first visit to LW, I'd love to hear how you found this little corner of the internet!)

Thanks for stopping by!