A Story About Desks

I am in love with all of the space for stuff and things.

For many years, I have been in possession of a simple, three-drawered wooden desk. I acquired it when I was about ten or eleven, when my friend’s grandmother was going to throw it away. It served to hold an old desktop computer that we once had, which was mostly employed for the use of Paint and playing Oregon Trail.) A few years and a move later, the desktop computer was replaced with a typewriter my uncle gave me, and the desk became a place for book storage and journaling.

Fast forward to 2010, when I bought my laptop. I spent a lot of time at the desk, working on books and blogging and researching. Then, my college classes started and the desk became my top study space. Over the years, I’ve had to purchase printers and started using an external mouse and keyboard. Unfortunately, my desk was a bit too small for all of these things.

The other day, my mom, sister, and I were out running errands. We stopped by a thrift store and I spotted a desk in the furniture area. It had shelves and a cabinet and plenty of space, and the addition of a slide-out panel for the keyboard. 

“That would make a good editing desk,” I remarked to Mom as we walked away. We talked about it for a few minutes, but I wasn’t completely sure, so I decided to think and pray about it. Once the decision was made, I was quite excited about the idea of having more space to work.

So the next morning, my grandmother picked us up and we went to the thrift store. I kept praying the desk would still be there, and when we walked into the room, it was in the exact same spot as before. I breathed a sigh of relief, once again inspected the cabinets, shelves, and the price, and proudly went up the counter and declared I wished to buy it.

Today, I finally finished the rather long tasks of switching out desks, moving items around, and finally settling in to do some writing. I’m just really excited about this. With budget and space concerns, I didn’t think I would be able to get a new desk (this one fits perfectly, and it cost less than $50!), so this was a really nice answer to prayer. My sister is now using my old desk (she had also been looking for one with more storage space for her art supplies), and she is letting our mom use her previous desk for a place to study in our kitchen. (We’ve all been really excited about how this worked out pretty perfectly.) 

So...yeah, this post has been a ramble, but this was a really bright part of my week!


Comments