2014 Top Tens: Books


If you want to see a list of all the books I’ve read this year, just visit this Pinterest board.  



10.) Breathless by Krista McLaughlin
This one is based on The Little Mermaid fairy tale. Instead of a mermaid, there is actually a merman! This is a cute, modern-day romance with a unique twist on the original fairy tale.

9.)The Help by Kathryn Stockett  
Another that had been on my to-read list for a while after seeing the movie. Each narrator has a unique voice, and it was an interesting read.

8.)
Austenland by Shannon Hale
I admit that I read this after seeing the movie. I had heard of it before the movie came out, but it kept slipping my mind when I would go to the library. This one is a hilarious, light read. 
 
7.) The Elite by Kiera Cass
If I had to pick a favorite from this series, it would be The Elite. I wasn’t expecting this book to be so intense, but it was definitely a good read. 

6.) Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth 
I loved getting to read Four’s POV in Allegiant, so I was really looking forward to this book. It’s a quick read, but a revealing look into the character’s past. 

5.) Miss Match by Erynn Mangum
I caught this book and its sequel at a thrift store. All I knew was that it was loosely based on Emma by Jane Austen. This book is hilarious. The main character is a total movie nerd/romantic.

4.) For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
All I knew when I got this from the library was that it was a little bit sci-fi and based on Jane Austen’s Persuasion. It took me a couple of chapters to grasp the world of the story, but otherwise, I fell in love really quickly with it. 

3.) All the Truth That’s In Me by Julie Berry  
First: I love the cover for this book, but it does strike me as more modern than the book felt. Second: This book was so, so good. The POV is like a mix of first-person and second-person, and it worked really well for this story. 

2.) Through The Ever Night by Veronica Rossi 
This might be my favorite book in the series. I enjoyed getting to see Aria’s friendship with Roar grow, though I did find Perry to be more whiny about it than seemed fitting (I mean, I get why he was concerned, but still). I also liked getting to see more of the story world. (And Roar. Because Roar’s my favorite.) 

1.) Cress by Marissa Meyer 
 If I haven’t mentioned it: The Lunar Chronicles books are probably my favorite “new” series. It’s sci-fi fairy tale retellings! Cress takes on the story of Rapunzel, and it is so good. I like the throwbacks to the original fairy tale, and that we get to see just how important Cress is to Cinder’s group. Plus, Carswell Thorne. (He’s my favorite “prince” of the series.) 

* Note: Some of the above books contained mild to moderate language, some violence, and suggestive and mature content. Depending on your personal preferences, you may want to check out a few reviews before reading. *

Comments

  1. Looks like you had a nice reading year! :-D
    YES to "Cress!" Sooooo looking forward to "Fairest" and "Winter." "Breathless" sounds like a good read- will have to check it out. And "For Darkness Shows the Stars" has been on my TBR for awhile. Glad to see it on your top ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for Fairest and Winter! I never expected I would enjoy that series so much, but Marissa Meyer is a great storyteller.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Cress, honestly, and it's the only one I can talk about because I have read. But, I've heard many good things about some of the other books; it will just take me a while to get to a few on the reading list. :/ Still, Carswell Thorne... My, my.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to decide if Cress is my favorite book of the series so far (I think it may come in at close second to Cinder), but I loved how much more of the world and the characters Cress features. :)

      I've recently started putting together the list of books I want to read in 2015. It's longer than I thought it would be!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi, and welcome to Lovely Whatsoevers!

Feel free to comment—I love hearing from you!

(If this is your first visit to LW, I'd love to hear how you found this little corner of the internet!)

Thanks for stopping by!