5 Christmas Traditions From My Family


#1: Christmas movies
My family has always been the Christmas-movie-watching type. (There are exceptions, but for most of us, this is true.) We even still have some of the VHS tapes from where we recorded some of the old Christmas specials when I was a little kid.


Some of my favorites are: A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, The Year Without A Santa Claus, White Christmas, and Elf.

#2: Music
I am guilty of listening to Christmas music playlists all year round. (Hey, it’s great for writing!) Here are some of the most popular songs on my playlist:


The Night Before Christmas – Brandon Heath
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day – Casting Crowns
Do You Hear What I Hear? – Third Day
His Favorite Christmas Story
– Capital Lights

#3: Baking and Treat-making
Most years, my siblings and I spend a Saturday at my Nena and Padaddy’s house (my grandparents), to help them make sugar cookies, black walnut muffins, and fudge.


At home, we usually make cookies and experiment with other treats, like chocolate-covered pretzels or peppermint milkshakes!

#4: Decorating the Tree
I love decorating Christmas trees.


I’m the shortest person in my family, so they like to pick on me because I usually can’t reach the top of the tree. Some years, we have real trees and other years we have fake ones. This year, we have a fake one (and I actually can reach the top).

#5: Reading
My family has a reading tradition. Usually, we do it on Christmas Eve, but some years we’ve done it on Christmas morning. We gather round and my dad reads us the Biblical account of Jesus’ birth, and then he reads The Night Before Christmas.


What are some of your family’s holiday traditions?

Comments