Shiloh Road Trip Diary: On the Battlefield


And so we reach the part of the road trip diary where the history-nerd part of my soul takes over
 
Shiloh isn’t the first Civil War battlefield I’ve visited. I’ve been to Chickamauga several times, but the strange thing about Shiloh was the quiet. From the cemetery to the battlefield itself, everything was quite still.

National Cemetery gate. We toured this first.
One of the plaques featuring the poem, “Bivouac of the Dead.”

We also toured the museum and watched the documentary.
I’ve heard stories about Shiloh being “haunted” and the sense of dread people claim to have felt while visiting. I don’t believe in ghosts, nor did I experience that sense of dread, but there were places where the silence was so profound my ears rang with it.

The Confederate memorial monument. The details were incredible (and this thing was huge).


I walked trails where soldiers from both sides spent their last moments and goosebumps ran across my skin. For a few moments, it was easy to imagine what each person might have felt like as they traversed those fields and woods—nervous, terrified, resolved.

This was the trail leading to Fraley Field.
Fraley Field. This is where the first shots were fired.
Part of the “Hornet’s Nest” area of the battle.
Water Oaks Pond.
One of the marked Confederate burial trenches.

The monuments were some of my favorite things about the park, especially those featuring people. The details were amazing.

Peabody monument.
Pennsylvania monument.
Minnesota monument.
Mississippi monument.

Because the park was closing, we returned Sunday morning to walk around the mounds. 

One of the smaller mounds.
Overlooking the Tennessee River from atop the “plaza” mound.
The original burial site of the 28th Illinois Infantry.
And then we were on our way to Memphis.

Comments

  1. Whoa... this is stunning. I've been to Gettysburg twice, though it's been a while. I don't remember there being an eerie silence, but it's crazy how much empty space there was on the battlefield. I love history too, so I would enjoy visiting this place to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! I've never been to Gettysburg but I really want to go. :)

      Shiloh was a fascinating place. It was so huge (and we only went to the Tennessee side—there's a whole other section in Mississippi). It was pretty amazing to be able to explore and learn more about it.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi, and welcome to my blog! Feel free to comment, but please be courteous (and if you don't mind, keep it family-friendly). :)


Thanks for stopping by!