Introducing My NaNoWriMo 2016 Novel

It’s that time of year again! You know—where it seems at least half of the writing community starts stockpiling caffeine and chocolate and other snacks and blocking out an entire month of writing madness.  

NaNoWriMo.


As I have since 2009, I’ll be participating. Unlike previous years, I won’t be writing fantasy. (Unless the story takes some surprising turns, which is always possible.)

I’ve been letting this story idea run around in my head for over a year, and I’ve been actively preparing to write it for NaNo since February. And believe it or not, I actually have a blurb this year!

Tolling Bells
Genre: Historical Scifi

Tolling Bells is set against the bloody backdrop of nineteenth-century Philadelphia when professional rivalries pit doctor against doctor in the quest to change the game of science and medicine.

In his search for bringing a new level to the human lifespan, Doctor Henry Ovalle has made enemies, including the brilliant but cunning Albion Daye. Both men are willing to go to any length to make their mark on history and the world.

Theodora Gensworth has been assistant to the eccentric Doctor Ovalle since she was nineteen years old. It’s a messy job, and a strange one, but it puts food on the table and—if the doctor’s dreams come true—could change the field of medicine as the world knows it. But can she keep the doctor from losing his humanity before it’s too late? And is she willing to risk her life for his work too?

And the mock cover…



I am so incredibly excited to write this story. I’ve spent the summer months researching everything from nineteenth-century medicine to journalism, and it was fascinating. This is my first major venture into writing something (somewhat) historical in a long time, so the research was fun and I’m eager to see which elements will make it into the story in November.

If you want to be buddies on the NaNo site, you can find me here.


Are you participating in NaNoWriMo this year? Tell me about your project!

Comments

  1. Oh. My. God. This sounds awesome! I'm not big on historical usually, and there's no way I could ever write it I'm not into history enough and I don't know enough, but this sounds SO. Amazing! I'm honestly in awe of people who write historical fiction, so much research goes into it! But I'm sure this will come out amazing, I can now officially say I love your writing, so I'm sure this will be great. And it sounds like it will be so much fun to write too! Good luck with NaNo, I hope we can find time to sprint together or something this November!
    I'm, of course, doing NaNo, and I've only really just started outlining my novel and everything but I'm so excited to work on it! I think, we talked on Twitter about projects right? So yeah, I'm sticking with my new MG fantasy adventure novel, it has some aspects I've never undertaken before, I'm most excited for the second world within the book that will be all steampunky and hot air balloons. XD
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I usually only write historical for short stories, so I'm kind of nervous because this is such a big project! The research has been pretty fun, so I'm hoping the pieces will come together in November. I think the setting is the part I'm most nervous about writing though. (Researching setting in history is probably the hardest part for me!)

      Good luck to you too! I saw your blurb on NaNo and it sounds AMAZING! Multiple worlds??? That is so awesome! The balloons and steampunk elements sound SO fun! I hope we can do some writing sprints too! (Apparently the NaNo site has a word sprint counter this year? I haven't checked it out yet but it sounds cool...)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi, and welcome to Lovely Whatsoevers!

Feel free to comment—I love hearing from you!

(If this is your first visit to LW, I'd love to hear how you found this little corner of the internet!)

Thanks for stopping by!