2017 Reading Recap: January - March


For 2017, I have a goal of reading 100 books. At present, I’ve read 26. Unlike previous years, I (finally) joined Goodreads and have been tracking my books there rather than on Pinterest boards. I’ve also remembered to track my audiobooks.  (Yay!)

Here’s what I’ve read so far, along with some thoughts:




Unoffendable by Brant Hansen

I used to listen to Brant’s show on Air1 and enjoyed the humor and thoughtfulness. Interesting points and ideas to consider.

The Rose and the Thorn by Michael J Sullivan
I got this one as a Christmas gift. I’ve never read any of the other books in the series before, so I was a bit confused about some of the events and characters, but found the plot to be interesting all the same.

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
A reread. I love the simplicity and magic of this book.

All the Truth That’s in Me by Julie Berry
Also a reread. This is one of those books I was unsure of when I first picked it up, but ended up falling in love with.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Another reread. This is a cute, fun read, and one of the few books I’ve ever read written in third-person  present.

The Lauren Holbrook Series by Erynn Mangum
Miss Match and Rematch were rereads, and I may have enjoyed them even more the second time. I enjoyed the other three books as well, though I think Laurie is definitely my favorite of the two narrators. Overall, I really liked the series (though I admit I’m disappointed it never mentions what happened to Keller).

Where the Woods Grow Wild by Nate Philbrick
This one is a really fun fantasy story that sort of reminded me of Narnia. I love Martin and Elodie’s friendship, as well as the secondary characters.

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Another reread (or relisten?). I really enjoyed this one—this was my third time reading it!

All Fall Down by Ally Carter
Another reread. This time, I listened to the audiobook. I enjoyed it, and picked up on details that I’d missed the first time I read it.
   
These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
I’m still not totally sure what I think of this one. The plot is cool and kept me guessing, but the main character felt kind of flat to me. I’ll probably check out the sequel though.

A Sherlock Holmes Devotional by Trisha White Priebe
This was also a Christmas gift. Interesting insights and ideas!

Twinepathy by C.B. Cook
This was a fast-moving story involving superheroes. It was a really fun read!

See How They Run by Ally Carter
I listened to the audiobook of this one too. It was okay, but I think I enjoyed the first book more.

Skies of Dripping Gold by Hannah Heath
This was a really interesting short story! The concept was unique and intriguing.

While You’re Awake by Amber Stokes
This novella was so, so cute. (And it’s a Sleeping Beauty retelling.)

Before the Fall: Arrival by Ally Carter
A short story that introduces All Fall Down. Just…not much happens in it.

How a Star Falls by Amber Stokes
Another cute novella. I liked While You’re Awake a bit more though.

The Lost Girl of Astor Street by Stephanie Morrill
I didn’t want to put this one down. The characters were intriguing and I was never quite sure what would happen next.

Threadbare by Bethany Jennings
Another short story. Very cool concept. The characters and story were really vivid.

Paige Torn by Erynn Mangum
I didn’t like this one as much as the Lauren Holbrook series, but I’ll probably check out the next book.

The Crown’s Game by Evenlyn Skye
Another reread. This time, I listened to the audiobook. Still enjoyed the story, though I think it’s one I preferred in print. It just seemed hard to keep track of everything when listening to it.

How to Make A Living As a Writer by James Scott Bell
Some interesting advice and ideas.


Currently Reading:
Martin Hospitality by Abigayle Claire
The Romanov Sisters by Helen Rappaport (audiobook)

Tell me about what you’ve been reading! Any rereads of old favorites? Any new favorites? What books are you looking forward to?


Comments