2017 Reading Recap: July - September

How is it already time for another reading recap? This time around, just about everything on this list is either fantasy or scifi—and sometimes a little bit of both! Previous recaps can be found here and here, and if you’d like to be friends on Goodreads, feel free to send me a request

Now, to the reading list:

Storm Siren trilogy by Mary Weber
I’ve been seeing recommendations for this series for years and having read it, I can totally see why! There’s so much to love about this series—the twisty plots, the characters, the writing style. Although at times it was a bit overwhelming to keep track of everything, I really enjoyed these. (And there are certain things in that first book that I am still not over. *muffled sobs*)

What’s Left of Me and Once We Were by Kat Zhang
I listened to the audiobooks of the first two books (haven’t read the third yet), but I’m definitely interested in seeing how the story plays out. It’s a unique idea.

Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones
The way the superpowers were gained and what powers people could have was pretty cool, but I wasn’t invested in most of the characters. The superpowers-meets-heist vibe was neat though.

The Blood Race by K.A. Emmons
This one was a lot of fun! I loved the time/dimensional travel and superhero-type powers. (You can check out a review for this one here, along with an interview with the author!)

Spare and Found Parts by Sarah Maria Griffin
The cover for this one caught my eye at the library and since it sort of had a Frankenstein-ish feel going on, I picked it up. While the use of different tenses was cool, overall the story itself was just a bit too weird for me.

The Firebird Trilogy by Claudia Gray
I have a lot of mixed feelings about these. In some ways, I loved this trilogy, but in some ways I didn’t. The writing style is gorgeous, the concept worked really well (except I still don’t totally understand some of the ’verses, like the Romeverse), and for the most part, I liked the characters. Just...some of their actions and choices felt like steps backward. I listened to the audiobooks for all three, and the narration was excellent.

The Crown’s Fate by Evelyn Skye
Another one with a lot of mixed feelings. I like how it picks up so soon after the first book and keeps the pace moving, though it felt almost like a standalone instead of a sequel. And I get why Nikolai did what he did, but still, I would have liked more buildup for him to get to that point

Entwined by Heather Dixon
This was a neat take on The Twelve Dancing Princesses! I listened to the audiobook and found the story intriguing, though some of the writing style felt a little heavy at times.

Iridescent by Kait Spangler
This was a fun one, with superpowers and mystery. I really enjoyed the conspiracy theory aspect and seeing the different kinds of superpowers! Also: Leo, because mysterious characters are some of my favorites.

The Girl Who Could See by Kara Swanson
This one really drew me into the storyworld and really packed in a lot for a novella! Very fun, and I really liked the characters.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
This was several years overdue for a reread, and I think I enjoy them even more now than I did when I was younger!

The Starbound Trilogy by Aime Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
I listened to the audiobooks, which are really well done. The writing and plot are intriguing and I wanted to know what would happen, but I just didn’t feel consistently invested in what happened to the characters.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares
Another reread. The first three are definitely my favorites; the fourth book always leave me feeling disconnected compared to the other books. (I know there’s a fifth book, but reading it once a few years ago was far more than enough because I despised it.)

Breaking Sky by Cori McCarthy
The premise was kind of cool, but I just didn’t feel invested in very much except finding out which character is the one who dies in the prologue. Oops.

The Giver by Lois Lowry
I’ve seen the movie for this a couple of times and finally decided to read the book, since it’s been on my shelf for a while. I really liked it!


Currently Reading:
Heartless by Marissa Meyer
Halayda by Sarah Delena White
Blood Red Road (audiobook) by Moira Young


Tell me about what you’ve been reading! Any new favorites? Any books you’re looking forward to reading soon?

Comments