2017 Reading Recap: October - December

Well, it’s the last quarterly reading recap of 2017! As always, you can check out the previous ones here, here, and here.

Blood Red Road by Moira Young
This was an audiobook read. The narration was good and the story was…interesting. It just got a little too weird for me and felt too long.

Heartless by Marissa Meyer
Reread. While I don’t love it quite as much as I love The Lunar Chronicles, this is definitely one of my favorite villain backstory retellings.

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
There are so many details that I picked up on during this reread that I had missed before or just hadn’t paid as much attention to during previous readings. This was my first time reading the graphic novel, Wires and Nerve, and while it was a little different in tone than the novels, I enjoyed it.

Hidden Figures: The Untold Story of the African American Women Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly
I listened to the audiobook of this one and found it really intriguing. Some of the math and science bits confused me a little, but I still enjoyed the insight into some of the behind-the-scenes stuff that I wasn’t as familiar with.

By Your Side by Kasie West
Another audiobook. The premise was interesting, and I liked the main characters well enough. Not my favorite, but not bad.

Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson
I am not super familiar with the Bluebeard story, but I listened to a sample of the audiobook and thought this looked like an interesting read. I found the characters difficult to connect with or care about, but the setting was vivid and rich and was my favorite aspect.

Legend by Marie Lu
Yet another audiobook (it was a good year for those!). This one really impressed me. While I suspected one of the plot twists early on, I really liked how June and Day’s stories intersected. The setting was pretty unique too and I liked the characters. Definitely planning to check out the next book in the series!

Renegades by Marissa Meyer
This was probably my most-anticipated read of 2017. I liked the superpowers and double-identities  and I didn’t really dislike the characters or the plot. The story was interesting enough, but I finished the book feeling like I didn’t know the characters any better than I did when I started it.

Halayda by Sarah Delena White
I really liked this one! The storyworld was interesting and I liked getting to know more about how the world was connected to Taylan and Sylvie. The characters were a lot of fun too, and I really enjoyed how Diza and Zad were more than just “sidekick” characters.

The Tomb of the Sea Witch and The Stroke of Eleven by Kyle Robert Shultz
These were fun followups to The Beast of Talesend and I liked seeing how Nick is adapting to the effects of his curse. The spin of The Little Mermaid was really cool, and I liked seeing how the storylines came together in The Stroke of Eleven. CRISPIN THOUGH. *screaming*

The Last Days of Lady Cordelia by Kyle Robert Shultz
This was a cool side-story, and I really liked the alternate universe aspects of it.

Dragon Lyric by Bethany Jennings
This was an interesting fantasy short that took a little different turn that I was expecting!

The Assassin’s Daughter by Jameson C. Smith
Well, doesn’t that one look familiar. ;P

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
One of my favorites! I love the humor. 

Wrapped in Red by Meghan M. Gorecki
A cute holiday-themed story with a dash of romance.

A (kinda) Country Christmas by Krista Phillips
A light, quick holiday read. 

Moonlight Over Manhattan by Carrie Turansky
Another cute holiday-themed read.

The Sixth Christmas by Mollie E. Reeder
Another Christmas-themed read. It reminded me a lot of A Christmas Carol with the time travel elements.
Currently Reading:
Christmas in Talesend by Kyle Robert Shultz
What are you currently reading? Do you have anything on your must-read list before December ends?

Comments

  1. I LOVED Halayda and Kyle's books! :D I'm currently reading The Last Motley by DJ Edwardson, and have a few review books and Christmas presents I want to read before the year's over, but likely won't get to. XD I need to read Cinder next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such fun stories! :)

      Ooh, I remember seeing that one on Goodreads! The cover is really cool, and it sounds like it would be an intriguing read!

      Books are great Christmas presents. ^_^ Happy New Year!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi, and welcome to Lovely Whatsoevers!

Feel free to comment—I love hearing from you!

(If this is your first visit to LW, I'd love to hear how you found this little corner of the internet!)

Thanks for stopping by!